Savor this fragrant dish featuring African spices like ginger, turmeric, cardamom and cinnamon with a simple green salad and a glass of crisp sauvignon blanc. Adapted from the Wildfitness Cook Book, and featured in Four Fitness Getaways That Will Change Your Life.
- 6 chicken drumsticks or 4 chicken breasts, skin on
- 4 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 4 cardamom pods, seeded
- 1 cinnamon stick, split to release the flavor
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch of ground mace
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 small onions, sliced
1. Lightly fry the chicken pieces in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat in a cast iron or heavy aluminum pan (not a non-stick) along with the turmeric and ginger, skin side down, until it turns golden brown.
2. Crush the cardamom seeds and add them to the pan along with the cinnamon stick, cloves, mace, cayenne pepper, black pepper, bay leaf and mustard seeds. Sautee until the spices become aromatic, about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, onion and remaining butter to the pan and toss to coat. Cover and cook over low heat until chicken is cooked through (15-20 minutes for legs, 30 minutes or more for chicken breasts).
– Taste of Adventure