Don’t let the simple ingredient list fool you. As Mimma might say, this chicken keeps marriages together. Adapted from the Tutti a Tavola cookbook, and featured in A Soul-Satisfying Sojourn to a Tuscan Kitchen. Serve with oven roasted potatoes, sautéed zucchini and a glass of Chianti Classico.
- 1 small chicken, whole
- 2 tablespoons very finely minced lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons very finely minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- several grinds of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- lemons cut into large wedges (enough to almost overstuff the chicken)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Combine the lemon zest, minced rosemary leaves, sea salt and black pepper. Massage the chicken with the olive oil and the seasoned sea salt mixture. Stuff the chicken with the rosemary sprigs and lemon wedges (no need to truss). Place the chicken on the rack of a roasting pan and roast for 70 to 90 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced. Let rest before carving.
– Taste of Adventure